PROPAGATION PROCEDURES USED BY OKI NURSERY PROPAGATION DEPARTMENT
Edwin S. Kubo
Collection of Cuttings
- Use sharp shears
- Use clean polythylene sheets to collect cutting material.
- Protect the cutting wood against direct sunlight when working in the open.
- Take cutting wood to propagation shed as often as necessary to prevent desiccation.
- Wash cutting wood on rack as soon as it is brought in from the field.
- Keep cutting wood moist with mist until time of use.
- Use sharp shears or knife to make the cuttings.
- Length of cuttings are 3–4 inches long.
- Dip finished cuttings for 10 minutes with Morton's Soil Drench C at the rate of 1 tsp. per 5 gallons of water.
- Cuttings are placed in a wire bottom box after treated and drained.
- Cuttings are treated with Hormodin powder 1, 2, 3, or the quick dip method using I.B.A. crystal with 50% alcohol.
- Sterlilized rooting medium is used for sticking cuttings.
- Types of rooting media:
- Perlite 100%
- Perlite 75%
Peat Moss 25%
- Propagation grade sand 100%
- All tools are disinfected twice daily with 1 quart of 37% commercial
ISHS members & pay-per-view
(PDF 154287 bytes)
IPPS membership administration
ISHS membership administration