Eur.J.Hortic.Sci. 80 (5) 240-248 | DOI: 10.17660/eJHS.2015/80.5.6|
ISSN 1611-4426 print and 1611-4434 online | © ISHS 2015 | European Journal of Horticultural Science | Original article
Mushroom supplement added to casing to improve postharvest quality of white button mushroom
M. Adibian1 and Y. Mami2
1Higher Educational Complex of Saravan, Iran
2Department of Horticulture Science, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Guilan, Iran
This project was done to study the effects of supplementing casing with ground corn and soybean seed applied at: 0 (control), 17, 34 and 51 g per 5 kg peat on color, weight loss, electrolyte leakage rate, total soluble solids, vitamin C, total phenol and antioxidant capacity of Agaricus bisporus. There were significant differences between supplemented and non-supplemented casings. Analyses of phenolic compounds revealed that mushrooms grown on casing supplemented with corn at 51 g per 5 kg peat contained more phenols than other treatments. The lowest amount of antioxidants in mushrooms was observed in the control. In addition, treatment of 51 g per 5 kg soybean and corn caused the highest total soluble solids. The color parameters for the color change of the materials were quantified by the hunter L (whiteness/darkness), a (redness/greenness) and b (yellowness/blueness) system. There were significant differences in mushrooms L*, a* and b* values in storage times of 8, 12 and 16 days among different supplements. Mushrooms supplemented with 51 g soybean and corn appeared to have higher L* values compared with other treatments. Amounts of protein content, electrolyte leakage, vitamin C and weight loss were significant if levels go up or down with storage time. The highest vitamin C, protein and antioxidant capacity were obtained with 34 and 51 g soybeans and 34 g corn, respectively. Results suggest that adding supplements in the casing increased the nutritional quality and shelf-life of mushrooms.
Agaricus bisporus, compost, corn, shelf-life, soybean
Significance of this study
What is already known on this subject?
What are the new findings?
Supplementation at casing to increase postharvest quality was a suitable practice in production of Agaricus bisporus. This is due to extra nutrition provided by supplements at this stage is directly utilized by mushroom mycelia for increased quality. The carbon units supplied to the compost in oil supplementation of the compost at casing were utilized to synthesize mannitol and fatty acids.
What is the expected impact on horticulture?
Supplementing with 34 g soybean and 51 g corn improved some quality indices of A. bisporus more than control and other treatments. Mushrooms supplemented with 51 g soybean and corn appeared to have higher L* values.
Supplementing substrate at casing is a relatively easy and low-cost cultural practice that may be successfully used to enhance yields, BE, nutritive values, post-harvest quality and maximize utilization of substrate.
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists (AOAC). (2002). Official Methods of Analysis of the Association of official Analytical Chemists, 16th ed. (Washington, DC: AOAC).
- Autio, W.R., and Bramlage, W.J. (1986). Chilling sensitivity of tomato fruit in relation to ripening and senescence. J. Am. Soc. Hort. Sci. 3, 201205.
- Beaulieu, M., Lacroix, M., Charbonneau, R., Laberge, I., and Gagon, M. (1992). Effects of irradiation dose rate on microbiological and physical quality of mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus). Sciences des aliments 12, 289303.
- Bradford, M.M. (1976). A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Analytical Biochemistry 72, 248254. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(76)90527-3.
- Burton, K.S., Love, M.E., and Smith, J.F. (1993). Biochemical changes associated with mushroom quality in Agaricus spp. Enzyme and Microbial Technology 15(9), 736741. doi: 10.1016/0141-0229(93)90003-K. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0229(93)90003-K.
- Burton, K.S., Partis, M.D., Wood, D.A., and Thurston, C.F. (1997). Accumulation of serine proteinase in senescent sporophores of the cultivated mushroom, Agaricus bisporus. Mycological Research 101, 146152. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0953756296002316.
- Dhar, B.L., and Kapoor, J.N. (1990). Inhibition of growth of Agaricus bisporus by systemic fungicides. Indian Phytopath. 43, 473474.
- Eger, G. (1972). Experiments and comments on the action of bacteria on sporophore initiation in Agaricus bisporus. Mush. Sci. 8, 719725.
- Elez-Martνnez, P., and Martνn-Belloso, O. (2007). Effects of high intensity pulsed electric field processing conditions on vitamin C and antioxidant capacity of orange juice and gazpacho, a cold vegetable soup. Food. Chem. 102, 201209. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2006.04.048.
- Gautam, S., Sharma, A., and Thomas, P. (1998). Gamma irradiation effect on shelf-life, texture, polyphenol oxidase and microflora of mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus). Int. J. Food. Sci. Nutr. 49, 510. https://doi.org/10.3109/09637489809086398.
- Gerrits, J.P.G. (1986). Supplementation with formaldehyde treated soybean meal. Mush. J. 161, 169174.
- Giri, S.K., and Prasad, S. (2007). Drying kinetics and rehydration characteristics of microwave vacuum and convective hot-air dried mushrooms. Journal of Food Engineering 78, 512521. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2005.10.021.
- Gormley, T.R. (1975). Chill storage of mushroom. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 26, 401411. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740260404.
- Hammond, J.B.W. (1979). Changes in the composition of the harvested mushroom (Agaricus bisporus). Phytochemistry 18, 415418. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9422(00)81878-6.
- Hammond, J.B.W., and Nichols, R. (1975). Changes in respiration and soluble carbohydrates during the postharvest storage of mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus). J. Sci. Food Agric. 26, 835842. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740260615.
- Hanasaki, Y., Ogawa, S., and Fukui, S. (1994). The correlation between active oxygen scavenging and antioxidative effects of flavonoids. Free Radical Biol. Med. 16, 845850. https://doi.org/10.1016/0891-5849(94)90202-X.
- Hayes, W.A. (1981). Interrelated studies of physical, chemical and biological factors in casing soils and relationships with productivity in commercial culture of Agaricus bisporus. Mush. Sci. 11, 103129.
- Hildebrand, D.F. (1989). Lipoxygenase. Plant Physiol. 76, 249253. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-3054.1989.tb05641.x.
- Holtz, R.B., and Schisler, L.C. (1986). Utilization of fatty acids by Agaricus bisporus in commercial culture. Mycologia 78(5), 722727. https://doi.org/10.2307/3807516.
- Lachman, J., Pivec, V., Rehakova, V., and Hubacek, J. (1990). Polyphenols and isoflavonoids of soybean (Glycine max (L.) Merr). Rostlinna Vyroba 36(3), 295301.
- Li, J.Y., Huang, W.N., Cai, L.X., and Hu, W.J. (2000). Effect of postharvest calcium treatments on physiological and biochemical changes in shiitake (Lentinus edodes). Fujian J. Agric. Sci. 15, 4347.
- Lopez-Briones, G.L., Varoguaux, P., Chambroy, Y., Bouquant, J., Bureau, G., and Pascat, B. (1992). Storage of common mushroom under controlled atmospheres. International Journal of Food Science and Technology 27, 493505. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1992.tb01216.x.
- Mau, J.L., Miklus, M.B., and Beelman, R.B. (1993). The shelf life of Agaricus mushrooms. In The shelf life of foods and beverages, C. Charalambous, ed. (Amsterdam: Elsevier Publishing Co.), pp. 255288.
- Miklus, M.B., and Beelman, R.B. (1996). CaCl2 treated irradiation water applied to mushroom crops (Agaricus bisporus) increases Ca concentration and improves postharvest quality and shelf life. Mycologia 88, 403409. https://doi.org/10.2307/3760881.
- Murr, D.P., and Morris, L.L. (1975). Effect of storage atmosphere on postharvest growth of mushrooms. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 100, 298301.
- Nussinovitch, A., and Kampf, N. (1993). Shelf life extension and conserved texture of alginate coated mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus). Journal of Food Technology 26, 469475. https://doi.org/10.1006/fstl.1993.1092.
- Pulido, R., Bravo, L., and Saura-Calixto, F. (2000). Antioxidant activity of dietary polyphenols as determined by a modified ferric reducing/antioxidant power assay. J. Agric. Food Chem. 48, 33963402. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf9913458.
- Rai, R.D., and Saxena, S. (1988). Effect of storage temperature on vitamin C content of mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus). Current Science 57, 434435.
- Randle, P.E. (1984). Supplementation of mushroom compost: A review. Mush. J. 151, 241269.
- Roy, S., Anantheswaran, R.C., and Beelman, R.B. (1995). Fresh mushroom quality as affected by modified atmosphere packaging. Journal of Food Science 60, 334340. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1995.tb05667.x.
- Salem, S.A. (1974). Effect of Gamma radiation on storage of onions used in the dehydration industry. J. Sci. Food Agric. 25, 257262. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740250305.
- Shandilya, T.R. (1986). Effect of different pasteurized compost on the yield of Agaricus bisporus. Indian J. Pl. Pathology 4(1), 8990.
- Singleton, V.L., Orthofer, R., and Lamuela-Raventos, R.M. (1990). Analysis of total phenols and other oxidation substrates and antioxidants by means of Folin-Ciocalteu reagent. Oxid. Antioxid. 299, 152178. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0076-6879(99)99017-1.
- Soler-Rivas, C., Jolivet, S., Yuksel, D., Arpin, N., Olivier, J.M., and Wichers, H.J. (1998). Analysis of Agaricus bisporus. FEMS Microbiol. Rev. 663(5), 1019.
- Tseng, Y.H., and Mau, J.L. (1999). Contents of sugars, free amino acids and free 50-nucleotides in mushrooms, Agaricus bisporus, during postharvest storage. J. Sci. Food Agric. 79, 15191523. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0010(199908)79:11<1519::AID-JSFA399>3.0.CO;2-M.
- Vijay, B., and Gupta, Y. (1992). Studies on fungal competitors of Agaricus bisporus. Indian J. Phytopathol. 45, 228238.
- Ye, H., Chen, J.X., Yu, R.C., Chen, Q.L., and Liu, W. (2000). The effect of irradiation on stored straw mushroom and the physiological mechanism. Acta Agriculturae Nucleatae Sinica 14, 2428.
Received: 5 December 2014 | Revised: 21 February 2015 | Accepted: 24 April 2015 | Published: 23 October 2015 | Available online: 23 October 2015