Eur.J.Hortic.Sci. 80 (4) 183-189 | DOI: 10.17660/eJHS.2015/80.4.6|
ISSN 1611-4426 print and 1611-4434 online | © ISHS 2015 | European Journal of Horticultural Science | Original article
The effect of two biopreparations on rhizogenesis in stem cuttings of Cotinus coggygria Scop.
A. Pacholczak, P. Petelewicz, K. Jagiełło-Kubiec and A. Ilczuk
Department of Ornamental Plants, Faculty of Horticulture, Biotechnology and Landscape Architecture, Warsaw University of Life Sciences, Warszawa, Poland
Biopreparations stimulate numerous physiological and biochemical processes in plants yet they have little environmental impact. This study evaluated two biopreparations for their effect on rooting of stem cuttings in two cultivars of smoke tree (Cotinus coggygria). During rooting, cuttings were sprayed once, twice or three times with aqueous solutions of 0.2% AlgaminoPlant or 0.1% Route. To evaluate their effectiveness relative to the treatments routinely used in the nursery production, some cuttings were treated with a rooting powder Rhizopon AA containing a synthetic auxin IBA (2%) or sprayed with a water solution of IBA (200 mg dm -3). Both biopreparations tested enhanced rhizogenesis in both cultivars. They increased the content of phenolic compounds in the leaves of cuttings and stimulated the activity of catalase, while lowering the content of hydrogen peroxide. Given the performance of the two tested preparations it appears that they can be recommended to growers as a replacement for synthetic IBA in nursery production, yet further trials are needed or the effects are variable depending on a year and a plant species/cultivar.
catalase, hydrogen peroxide, peroxidase, rooting, smoke tree
Significance of this study
What is already known on this subject?
What are the new findings?
Biopreparations constitute a group of compounds containing natural substances with little, if any, predicted environmental effect. They have been viewed as biological substances that stimulate certain physiological or biochemical processes related to rhizogenesis.
What is the expected impact on horticulture?
Both biopreparations tested enhanced rhizogenesis in smoke tree and affected processes related to oxidative stress in cuttings, lowering the content of hydrogen peroxide and stimulating activity of catalase. They also increased the content of phenolic compounds.
The results obtained in this work show that the biostimulators positively affect rhizogenesis and may replace auxin-based rooting powders. They have a potential for the improvement of ornamental plant production in a changing regulatory environment.
- Ayad, J.Y. (1998). The effect of seaweed extract (Ascophyllum nodosum) extract on antioxidant activities and drought tolerance of tall fescue (Festuca arundinacea Schreb.) (Lubbock: Texas Tech University, Ph.D. Thesis).
- Basak, A. (2008). Biostimulators definitions, classification and legislation. In Biostimulators in modern agriculture general aspects, H. Gawrońska, ed. (Warsaw: Plantpress), pp. 717.
- Bhattacharya, N.C. (1988). Enzyme activities during adventitious rooting. In Adventitious Root Formation in Cuttings, T.D. Davis, B.E. Haissig, and N. Sankhala, eds. (Portland: Dioscorides Press), pp. 88101.
- Borowski, E. (2009). Response to chilling in cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) plants treated with triacontanol and Asahi SL. Acta Agrobotanica 62(2), 165172. https://doi.org/10.5586/aa.2009.038.
- Broadley, M., White, P., Hammond, J., Zelko, I., and Lux, A. (2007). Zinc in plants. New Phytologist 173, 677702. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.01996.x.
- Cattanach, A. (1992). Effect of ACA Agricultural Crop Additive on the yield of sugar beets at fargo and prosper. Sugarbeet Research and Extension Reports 23, 218220.
- Dietz, K.J., Jacob, S., Oelze, M.L., Laxa, M., Tognetti, V., Nunes de Miranda, S.N., Baier, M., and Finkmeier, I. (2006). The function of peroxiredoxins in plant organelle redox metabo-lizm. Journal of Experimental Botany 57, 16971709. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/erj160.
- Dobrzański, A., Anyszka, Z., and Elkner, K. (2008). Response of carrots to application of natural extracts from seaweed Sargassum sp. AlgaminoPlant and from leonardite Humi-plant. Journal of Research and Applications in Agricultural Engineering 53: 5358. (in Polish).
- Fike, J.H., Allen, V.G., Schmidt, R.E., Zhang, X., Fontenot, J.P., Bagley, C.P., Ivy, R.L., Evans, R.R., Coelho, R.W., and Wester, D.B. (2001). Tasco-Forage: Influence of a seaweed extract on antioxidant activity in tall fescue and in ruminants. Journal of Animal Science 79, 10111021.
- Fraser, G.A., and Percival, G.C. (2003). The influence of biostimulants on growth and vitality of three urban tree species following transplanting. Arboricultural Journal 27, 4357. https://doi.org/10.1080/03071375.2003.9747361.
- Fu, Z., Xu, P., He, S., Teixeira da Silva, J.A., and Tanaka, M. (2011). Dynamic changes in enzyme activities and phenolic content during in vitro rooting of tree peony (Paeonia suffruticosa Andr.) plantlets. Maejo International Journal of Science Technology 5: 252265.
- Gawrońska, H., Przybysz, A., and Słowiński, A. (2008). Mode of action of the Asahi SL biostimulator. Book of Abstracts of the FESPB Congress, Tampere, Finland, August. pp. 1722.
- Gorter, C.J. (1969). Auxin synergists in the rooting of cuttings. Physiologia Plantarum 22, 120122. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-3054.1969.tb07403.x.
- Goth, L. (1991). A simple method for determination of serum catalase activity and revision of reference range. Clinica Chimica Acta 196, 143152. https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-8981(91)90067-M.
- Hodges, D.M. (2001). Chilling effects on active oxygen species and their scavenging systems in plants. In Crop responses and adaptations to temperature stress, A. Basra, ed. (Binghamton: Food Products Press), pp. 5378.
- Horne, M.R.L., and Leitch, M.H. (2006). A pot evaluation of the effects of zinc ammonium acetate on grain yield in spring barley. Tests of Agrochemicals and Cultivars 27.
- Jacygrad, E., and Pacholczak, A. (2010). Effect of biopreparations Amino Total and Biochikol 020 PC on rhizogenesis in stem cuttings of Physocarpus opulifolius 'Dart's Gold' and 'Diabolo'. Annals of Warsaw University of Life Sciences SGGW Horticulture and Landscape Architecture 31, 1927.
- Jeannin, I., Lescure, J.C., and Morot-Gaudry, J.F. (1991). The effects of aqueous seaweed sprays on the growth of maize. Botanica Marina 34, 469473. https://doi.org/10.1515/botm.1918.104.22.1689.
- Khan, W., Rayirath, U.P., Subramanian, S., Jithesh, M.N., Rayorath, P., Hodges, D.M., Critchley, A.T., Craigie, J.S., Norrie, J., and Prithiviraj, B. (2009). Seaweed extracts as biostimulants of plant growth and development. Journal of Plant Growth Regulations 28, 386399. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00344-009-9103-x.
- Ludwig-Muller, J. (2000). Indole-3-butyric acid in plant growth and development. Plant Growth Regulation 32, 219230. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1010746806891.
- Marino, G., Cellini, A., and Masia, A. (2010). In vitro treatment with a low molecular weight humic acid can improve growth and mineral uptake of pear plantlets during acclimatization. Acta Hortic. 884, 565572. https://doi.org/10.17660/ActaHortic.2010.884.73.
- Matysiak, K., Kaczmarek, S., and Krawczyk, R. (2011). Influence of seaweed extracts and mixture of humic and fulvic acids on germination and growth of Zea mays L. Acta Scientiarum Polonorum, Agricultura 10, 3345.
- Nedumaran, T., and Peruman, P. (2009). Effect of seaweed liquid fertilizer on the germination and growth of seedling of Mangrove Rhizophora mucronata BOIR. Journal of Phytology 3, 142146.
- Pacholczak, A., and Szydło, W. (2008). Effect of ammonium zinc acetate on rooting of stem cuttings in Physocarpus opulifolius. Annals of Warsaw University of Life Sciences SGGW Horticulture and Landscape Architecture 29, 5964.
- Pacholczak, A., Szydło, W., and Jacygrad, E. (2010). Effect of biopreparations Amino Total and Biochikol 020 PC on rooting of stem cuttings in Berberis thunbergii and Cornus alba. Zeszyty Problemowe Postępσw Nauk Rolniczych 551, 219229 (in Polish).
- Pacholczak, A., Szydło, W., Jacygrad, E., and Federowicz, M. (2012). Effect of auxins and the biostimulator AlgaminoPlant on rhizogenesis in stem cuttings of two dogwood cultivars (Cornus alba Aurea and Elegantissima). Acta Scientiarum Polonorum, Hortorum Cultus 11, 93103.
- Pessarakli, M. (2014). Handbook of plant and crop physiology, Third Edition (Boca Raton: CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group). https://doi.org/10.1201/b16675.
- Petelewicz, P., Pacholczak, A., and Szydło, W. (2013). The influence of AlgaminoPlant Route on rhizogenesis of stem cuttings of Cotinus coggygria Royal Purple and Young Lady. Journal of Biotechnology Computational Biology and Bionanotechnology 94(2), 224.
- Przybysz, A., Wrochna, M., Słowiński, A., and Gawrońska, H. (2010). Stimulatory effect of Asahi SL on selected plant species. Acta Scientiarum Polonorum Hortorum Cultus 9(2), 5363.
- Rosłon, W., Osińska, E., Bączek, K., and Węglarz, Z. (2011). The influence of organic-mineral fertilizers on field and raw materials quality of chosen plants of the Lamiaceae family from organic cultivation. Acta Scientiarum Polonorum, Hortorum Cultus 10, 147158.
- Schmidt, R.E., Ervin, E.H., and Zhang, X. (2003). Questions and answers about biostimulants. Golf Course Mgt. 71, 9194.
- Siedlecka, M. (2010). Handbook for exercises in plant physiology (Warszawa: UW) (in Polish).
- Spethmann, W. (2001). Innovate cutting propagation methods. Proceedings from the VII Scientific Nursery Conference: Ornamental nursery at the threshold of a new millennium (Skierniewice: ISiK), pp. 511 (in Polish).
- Strzelecka, H., Kamińska, J., and Walewska, E. (1982). Chemical methods for the study of medicinal plant raw materials (Warszawa: PZWL), pp. 131132 (in Polish).
- Taiz, L., and Zeiger, E. (2010). Plant Physiology. Fifth Edition (Sunderland: Sinauer Associates Inc.).
- Thorsen, M.K., Woodward, S., and McKenzie, B.M. (2010). Kelp (Laminaria digitata) increases germination and affects rooting and plant vigor in crops and native plants from arable grassland in the Outer Hebrides, Scotland. Journal of Coastal Conservation 14, 239247. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11852-010-0091-6.
- Toczko, M., and Grzelińska, A. (2001). Materials for exercises in biochemistry (Warszawa: Wydawnictwo SGGW), pp. 99101 (in Polish).
- Willekens, H., Chamnongpol, S., and Davey, M. (1997). Catalase is a sink for H2O2 and is indispensable for stress defense in C-3 plants. EMBO Journal 16(16), 48064816. https://doi.org/10.1093/emboj/16.16.4806.
- Wojdyła, A.T. (2004). Chitosan (Biochikol 020 PC) in the control of some ornamental foliage diseases. Communications in Agricultural and Applied Biology Sciences, Ghent University 69, 705715.
- Wσjcik, A.R., and Laudański, Z. (1989). Statistical planning and concluding in experimental works (Warszawa: PWN), p. 130 (in Polish).
- Zhang, X. (1997). Influence of plant growth regulators on turfgrass growth, antioxidant status, and drought tolerance. (Blacksburg, Virginia: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Ph.D. Thesis).
- Zhang, Q., Zhang, J., Shen, J., Silva, A., Dennis, D.A., and Barrow, C.J. (2006). A simple 96-well microplate method for estimation of total polyphenol content in seaweeds. Journal of Applied Phycology 8, 445450. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10811-006-9048-4.
Received: 11 November 2014 | Revised: 12 June 2015 | Accepted: 23 June 2015 | Published: 23 August 2015 | Available online: 23 August 2015